Network automation is the process of using software, such as Python, Netconf, or direct API to automate network and security provisioning and management with the goal of continuously maximizing network efficiency, operations, and functionality. If you have newer hardware, you can automate your network using Restful APIs. If you have legacy hardware, automation involves having a script log into devices via SSH session, running commands to collect required data and/or to apply desired configurations. Network automation shifts the manual tasks and processes performed in each layer of the network infrastructure to software tools and applications that complete them repeatedly.
Create VLAN API
Who is network automation for?
Let’s start by reviewing the difference between on-demand automation and full automation. On-Demand automation has been around for years. On-Demand automation is essentially management via a GUI. Any task that is performed in the GUI triggers a correlating script on the back end to complete the task. Full Automation bypasses GUI and/or manual CLI to perform tasks.
While most vendors will tell you network automation is for everybody, the reality is that full network automation is not necessary in every IT organization. There are a few scenarios where full automation is truly needed, such as:
- Service, hosting, or cloud provider environments like AWS, Azure, Google, GoDaddy, AT&T, Lumen, Digital Ocean or Rackspace
- Large enterprises whose network device footprint resembles that of a small to mid-size carrier
- IT organizations that have tedious tasks that are implemented daily or multiple times per day
Network automation benefits
- Improve efficiency — Automating repetitive tasks and tasks subject to human error frees up engineers to focus on larger, more complex deliverables
- Reduce incidents — Leveraging low-code and playbook-powered workflows with the efficiency of closed-loop, intent-based operations, common network issues are resolved spontaneously. The risk for manual process-related errors like configuration errors, typos, and more are reduced
- Increase resiliency — Removing the need for manual intervention during an event or incident allows companies to deliver a higher level of service more consistently across locations
- Gain visibility and control — Automation helps make IT operations more responsive to change through analytics. You gain more visibility into the network and understand precisely what is happening in your network with the ability to control and adapt as needed
Implementing on-demand or full automation lowers costs, increases productivity and drives business efficiency and profitability.
Cloud Connectiv has a different approach for Network Automation
Some vendors want you to stop using a CLI (IOS, EOS, JUNOS) that you are proficient with and start using a CLI (Python, Netconf) you are not as comfortable with. This didn’t make sense to our founder who has been a network engineer more than half of his life. So, we set out to do automation a little differently. Let Cloud Connectiv take care of all the backend scripting, CLI scrubbing, and API calls for you. Leverage our simple yet powerful UI to perform or automate any task.
Cloud Connectiv leverages custom on-demand automation to allow engineers to automate as little or as much as they deem fit per business requirements. With seamless orchestration and automation, MobileNOC simplifies your day-to-day so you can focus on innovation.
– Automate VLAN
– Automate Load Balancing
– Automate Firewall Policy Management
– Automate Configuration Compliance
– Automate Configuration Backups
Please contact us to learn about how we can customize a network automation solution for your organization.